Request for Proposal
The Request for Proposals can be downloaded here. The Vermont NRCS 340 Standards outlining NRCS approved cover cropping standards can be downloaded here.
Request for Proposals
The Farmers Watershed Alliance is Seeking Proposals to Source Seed for Farms Cover Cropping in Summer/Early Fall 2015
Proposals Due July 1, 2015
Selected Vendor will be Notified July 2, 2015.
The Farmer’s Watershed Alliance is collaborating on a NRCS Conservation Innovation Grant to demonstrate the feasibility and efficacy of interseeding cover crops into corn. Interseeding will be completed either prior to canopy closure or at least one month prior to harvest. The Farmer’s Watershed Alliance and collaborating farm members are seeking a vendor to provide specific cover crop mixes for this project. This request for proposals is to solicit a business that can provide specific cover crop seed mixes as indicated below in 50# bags and has the ability to deliver the seed to farms during the aforementioned project period.
The bid request should include the cost of the seed for each mix listed below with the expectation that the seed will be delivered in 50# bags to each respective farm. The vendor must be able to deliver the seed to farms located in Franklin and Orleans County. We expect to begin seeding cover crops in mid-July.
Here is a list of the seed blends, ratios, acres to be seeded, and total pounds of seed for each blend:
1. Annual Rye/Radish Mix: Annual Rye 20# (83%), Radish 4# (16%)/acre Acres: 613 Seed Needed: 14,750 lbs
2. Winter Rye/Radish Mix: Winter Rye 85# (95%), Radish 4# (5%)/acre Acres: 599 Seed Needed: 53,350 lbs
3. Winter Rye/White Clover/Radish: WR 60# (85%), WC 6# (8%), Radish 4# (6%)/acre Acres: 235 Seed Needed: 16,450 lbs
4. Annual Rye/White Clover: Annual Rye 15# (65%) White Clover 8# (35%)/acre Acres: 50 Seed Needed: 1,150 lbs
5. Winter Rye/Oats/Radish: Winter Rye 45# (50%) Oats 40# (44%) Radish (5%)/acre Acres: 140 Seed Needed: 12,500 lbs
6. Annual Rye: 30#/acre Acres: 50 Seed Needed: 1,500 lbs
7. Winter Rye: 110#/acre Acres: 615 Seed Needed: 67,650 lbs
8. Winter Rye: 75#/acre Acres: 110 Seed Needed: 8,250 lbs
9. Annual Rye/Canola: Annual Rye 20# (83%) Canola 4# (16%)/acre Acres: 50 Seed Needed: 1,200 lbs
10. Oats/Radish: Oats 85# (95%) Radish 4# (5%)/acre Acres: 150 Seed Needed: 9,800 lbs
11. Annual Rye/Radish: 15# (84%) Radish 3#(16%) Acres: 56 Seed Needed: 1,050 lbs
12. Winter Rye/White Clover/Radish: WR 40#(85%) WC 5# (8%) Radish 2# (6%) Acres: 20 Seed Needed: 950 lbs
Total Seed Needed: 188,600 Pounds of Seed
The seed mixes and seeding rates listed above were selected to meet the NRCS 340 Cover Cropping Standard and cannot be reduced. However the seeding rates could be slightly higher if needed.
The seed will need to be delivered to individual farms located in Franklin and Orleans County. The farm locations and blends needed on farms will be provided to the selected vendor.
All seed will need to be blended, bagged, tagged, and delivered prior to seeding which is scheduled to start in Mid-July. The key is to meet NRCS seeding specifications and deadlines. Please refer to the 340 standard for clarification.
Payment for seed will be Net 30 days from delivery.
To apply for the contract please provide seed costs for each mix listed above. Also please indicate in the proposal the ability for your company to deliver the seed in 50# bags to each participating farm in Franklin/Orleans County.
All proposals should be mailed to:
Farmer’s Watershed Alliance
c/o Lindsey Ruhl
278 S. Main Street, Ste. 2
St. Albans, VT 05478
Or emailed to farmerswatershedallianceNW@gmail.com
Please contact the Farmer’s Watershed Coordinator, Lindsey Ruhl, with the e-mail address above or call (802) 524-6501 x445 with any questions.